S.E. Michigan
Vets List

Library of Congress
Vets Web Site

Harvey Morrison
War: World War II - Korean War
Branch: U.S. Army - Airborne
Unit: 17th Airborne (194th Glider Regiment), 82nd Airborne (325th Glider Infantry)
Highest Rank: Staff Sargent
Birth Year: January 28, 1925
Place of Birth: Prairie Depot, Ohio
Citations: Purple Heart, Bronze Star;
French Legion of Merit; Combat Infantry Badge; Air Medal; and American Defense Ribbon


Harvey C. Morrison was born on January 28, 1925 in the city of Prairie Depot, Ohio. He volunteered at the draft board in Flat Rock, Michigan when he turned 19 in 1944. He received basic training for six weeks at Camp Hood, Texas after which he volunteered for airborne training, which he received at Fort Benning, Georgia. After this, he went to Fort Bragg where he was assigned to the 17th Airborne Division.

His division went to England in late May as replacements, if needed. They parachuted into France after D-Day, but were well past their target due to flak and loss of altitude. It took three days to regroup with other airborne units after encountering little German resistance. Assignments while in France included holding bridges and train yards and disarming infrastructure. The 17th was set up in St. Saens, France, from which they proceeded on foot to Germany.

When the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes got underway, the 17th was sent in as replacements for the 101st and 82nd Airborne in Bastogne, Belgium. Harvey remembers the severe fighting and even more severe weather, made worse by their lack of winter gear. He was wounded in Bastogne but soon returned to full service. He carried a standard rifle along with a BAR and a Bazooka (used to take out German emplacements). He received Special Forces training and was authorized to wear a "T" under his Corporal bars. His company crossed the Rhine in a glider and secured Wesel, Germany. From there they went to Hamburg and Dusseldorf, encountering slow house to house fighting. Along with 17 other men, Harvey captured the son of a German diplomat named Von Poven in the Ruhr Falley.

In April they were in Dusseldorf and began occupation training. It was there that they received word of Germany's surrender and were sent to Nancy, France to receive training to go to Japan. Three days out on their way to Japan, the atomic bomb was dropped and the men began to go home. Harvey returned home in January to a parade in New York along with his Division. From there, he returned to Frot Bragg and was called back into service before the outbreak of the Korean War. His job was to handls reservist and draft papers in Fort Wayne near Detroit and Battle Creek, Michigan. Due to his and his wife's stay in hospitals, Harvey was not sent over to Korea during the conflict. Harvey was awarded the Bronze star for meritorius service.